Translate

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Quark-tastic!


Quark!  It's not yogurt, cream cheese, cottage cheese or butter...  Honestly, I'm not sure what quark is!   But supposedly, it's low fat and healthy! (I should research that further).  It's also absolutely delicious and exceptionally versatile!  It is amazing with potatoes, fantastic on French fries, brilliant on bread and can be mixed with oil, onions, garlic, etc. to create wonderful dips and spreads.  Quark has become my guilty pleasure food since arriving here (perhaps even more so than chocolate).  I have enjoyed Quark with my breakfasts, lunches and dinners!  I feel about Quark much the same way I felt about Nutella over a decade ago while spending time in Stuttgart!  (Back when Nutella was still difficult to find in The States). Then, as with Quark now, I just can't seem to get enough!  I imagine many Germans must think I'm absolutely insane!  But for them, Quark is common...  It's still very new and exciting for me! While visiting The United States, my wife only found Quark once.  It cost over $6.00 for a small amount at a speciality health food store, and it wasn't even that good.  Here, it only costs about .60€ (about .70¢) and is available almost everywhere in the dairy section.  If I had to guess, I'd say much like Nutella, within the next ten years Quark will become cheaper and readily available in The States...  I'm not sure why it's not, already!?!?  Yum!   Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go find an excuse to put Quark on something...

1 comment:

  1. You can mix Quark with spices/ fresh herbs/ fresh fruits/ cinnamon and sugar/ honey etc or you can just use it on your face :)
    http://www.livingathome.de/kochen-feiern/kuechenwissen/6694-bstr-honig-gutes-fuer-haut-haare/2081-img-honig-quark-maske

    ReplyDelete